One dead, several injured in two blasts in Jerusalem news


The separate blasts come after a 16-year-old Palestinian man was killed by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank, officials say.

At least one person was killed and 12 others injured in two separate blasts that shook the city of Jerusalem, according to Israeli officials.

Israeli police said Wednesday morning’s incidents are suspected to be Palestinian attacks.

The blasts came hours after a 16-year-old Palestinian teenager was killed by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank city of Nablus, according to Palestinian officials.

(Al Jazeera)

The first blast occurred around 7 a.m. (04:00 GMT) near an Israeli bus station along a highway at Jerusalem’s western entrance that is usually packed with commuters.

According to medics, seven people were injured in the first explosion, at least two of them in serious condition.

The second blast, which officials described as “controlled,” occurred less than half an hour later at the Ramot Junction in north Jerusalem. Officials said five people were slightly injured by shrapnel.

Al Jazeera’s Alan Fisher, reporting from Ramot, said police believe the first incident was caused by “explosives in a bike left at a bus stop”.

Both explosions are believed to have been remotely triggered.

Israeli authorities have closed key roads and set up checkpoints in eastern and western parts of Jerusalem while they conduct an investigation into the blasts and search for suspects.

Based on a decision by the Defense Minister, the Israeli army also announced the closure of two key checkpoints in the Jenin area – Jalameh and Salem.

The Israel Police Commissioner said the type of attack that took place in Jerusalem “has not been seen in years” and that authorities are looking for the attackers. He added that police are looking for other possible explosives in the city.

Security camera footage of the first blast was shared on social media.

[Translation: The moment of the first explosion on the way out of the city of Jerusalem]

Yosef Haim Gabay, a medic who was on site when the blast occurred, told Army Radio that “there is damage everywhere here” and that some of the wounded were bleeding profusely.

While the cause was still being determined, the incident came as tensions at the scene continued to rise since last year. Raids by the Israeli army and killings of Palestinians in towns and villages in the occupied West Bank have recently increased, paralleled by an increase in armed Palestinian attacks and settler attacks on Palestinians.

At least 200 Palestinians, including more than 50 children, have been killed by Israel in the illegally occupied territories of East Jerusalem, the West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip in the deadliest year for Palestinians since 2006.

More than 25 people were also killed on the Israeli side.

Just after midnight on Wednesday, Palestinian health officials confirmed the murder of 16-year-old boy Ahmad Amjad Shehadeh with a bullet to the heart in Nablus.

Israeli forces had raided Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank to secure Israeli settlers’ access to the sensitive Joseph Shrine site, about a kilometer from central Nablus.

At least five other Palestinians were injured after being shot dead with live ammunition and flashbangs, the health ministry said, including one in serious condition with a bullet to the abdomen.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said it treated 22 other injuries from rubber-tipped bullets and dozens from tear gas inhalation. It added that “the Red Crescent ambulance was attacked by the occupying forces with live ammunition”.

Itamar Ben-Gvir, a far-right politician who has called for the death penalty for Palestinian perpetrators of attacks and is set to become homeland security minister in charge of police in the country’s new government, said the blasts in Jerusalem will mean him enforce stricter measures.

“We need to renew targeted assassinations and make them pay off,” Ben-Gvir said, referring to an increase in targeted assassinations by the Israeli army against Palestinian militants in the occupied West Bank.

Hamas, the Palestinian group that rules the Israeli-besieged Gaza Strip, praised the attack and called it a heroic operation, but refrained from taking responsibility.

“The occupation is reaping the rewards of their crimes and aggression against our people.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *